Monday, September 5, 2011

Diving Into Social Studies!

This past week I started a class called Social Studies Methods for Childhood Education. I have to admit I was a bit nervous because I was never really good at this subject area when I was in school so I wasn't sure what to expect. The first class was very interesting and it definitely helped me to feel more comfortable. In this session, we began discussing our thoughts and ideas about what social studies means as well as what our experiences have been when it comes to learning about social studies. In order to do this we took part in a name tag activity.
In this activity, we all were given a piece of construction paper and had to make our own name tags. On the back of the name tag, we had to write one social studies teacher we remember and why. We also had to write what social studies means to us and what skills social studies helps students to develop. I thought this was a great way to start the class because it helped me to remember why social studies had been hard for me and allowed me to put any negative feelings behind me. I really enjoyed hearing how other people felt about their past experiences and I am excited to learn more about the world of social studies and how I can help my students to appreciate it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment