Sunday, November 6, 2011

Letters to Daddy: The Musical Key to Bully Free


Last week I had the opportunity to attend a musical presentation called Letters to Daddy at Mount Saint Mary College. When I first heard that the presentation was being offered, I had no idea what to expect. I wondered how they were going to execute a musical performance about bullying.


When I arrived at the musical, I found out that the cast consisted solely of children. I thought this was incredible because children understand more than anybody how it feels to be bullied and why it is so important to get the message out. I was amazed at how incredibly talented each of the children were and even though it is a small cast, they are making such a huge impact on the fight against bullying. 


The main characters in the play were two young girls whose father is a fifth grade teacher at an elementary school. In the opening of the play, the younger sister explains through song that her dad had his class write letters telling him about something in their life that causes them the most pain. Caroline, who is the older sister, gets punished for standing up to a bully in school. While she is sitting in her dad's office, she finds the letters that the students had written. Caroline and her friends begin to read the letters out loud to each other. As they read about all of the pain and suffering that other children endure, they begin to realize that everyone has a secret and although people may appear tough on the outside, they could be dealing with a lot of hurt and anger on the inside. 

Throughout the musical, the children begin to grow and learn from each other. They realize that it is okay to be different and then you should not judge someone before you get to know them. They realize that they are all unique and special. The children discover that the continents of the Earth complete each other and fit together like a puzzle. The children put the puzzle together and it becomes a heart. This scene of the musical was especially important because it delivers one of the main messages, "Put the heart back in the Earth."
This is such a powerful and uplifting message and the children did an amazing job of portraying it. 


I learned so much from this musical and it even made me get a little bit emotional. I can remember what it feels like to be bullied in school and sometimes, the pain is unbearable. Even now as a perspective teacher, it is easy to see how mean children can be to one another. It is important to teach acceptance and to encourage children to love one another despite their differences. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see this wonderful musical and even I feel like it forced me to look inside myself and reflect on what is important in life. It was a truly beautiful message and one that I will definitely share with my students in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment